c

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

social change.

Started out wanting to shout change is needed in the world
My mind ached trying to come up with one idea, one issue
To grasp and to light the way to become an agent of change
You gave us the green light as we tried to put to light
That change is necessary in the field of mainstream and special needs


Didn’t understand how to make a difference
You rattled my brain until it hurt and I couldn’t think anymore
Knowing what to do and what you want to do are two separate things
I did something small one classroom, three grades, one event
Really did nothing, nothing at all

Changing minds for three hours
Rattled only so many brains for 10 minutes
Changed the way they view people with special needs
For every ever after, as long as they shall remember it
For five seconds, five minutes, for the rest of their lives

We all know the one event isn’t social change
I know it sounds strange but I might have planted the seed
To begin a tree of change, a new way to live a place to forgive
To extend its roots throughout every society
We can plant the tree of change to grow and prosper for the future

All we have to do is connect, create, communicate
We need to come together as one
Not two separate sides of a fence but as one barrier
Against hate and we won’t discriminate but conjugate as one
For we can be the vehicles of change

I sit here when I should be standing
Standing on a stage for the foundation of change
Willing to give it all to be the founder the leader on the stage
But I sit here staring, staring at the blank page sitting on the stage
Knowing there isn’t time, time to phase in the change

I have the ideas, I have the ingredients of how I could set the stage
To set up the stage and phase in change within the walls of our schools
Building rapport between two bordering communities
Coming together to plant the trees of understanding, empathy a new life
A life to be lived together, side by side not back to back


For we need this tree in order to breathe
We need this to wash away angst, fear, hate and regret
We need this to become more human,
To become a more complete individual among society
We need this new life to be the change we desire to be free

New beginnings, new possibilities will be abundant
Bridges will be mended, alliances will be made
A whole new world we’ll be building if we choose to be the tree
For it’s up to you and it’s up to me
To be the change, the change we wish to see

No comments: